Tuesday, October 15, 2013

New study suggests strong link between air pollution and asthma.

According to data released by the Epidemiology And Allergic and Respiratory Diseases (EPAR) Department from Sorbonne University and the Institut National de le Santé et de la Recherche-Médicale (INSERM), indicate that air pollution may cause new cases of asthma.
This does not surprise me, but what does surprise me are the numbers. Where 1 in 7 children living close to heavily congested streets could develop asthma or 1 in 4 children who live in an area with heavy pollution can develop asthma. As someone who has had breathing difficulties (light asthma and heavy allergies) these numbers seem quite high. I guess I can be thankful for growing up in Suburbia and not exposing myself to “heavy pollution”. I do feel however, that as we are becoming more and more aware of the health effects of air pollution emissions by industrial sectors in the West it has significantly decreased in heavily populated areas. I also wonder, how in the world am I supposed to not breathe in the “dirty” air that’s outside? I suppose, all I can do is wait for better regulations from the government on emissions from cars and industries?

But what about in my home or office?

What’s really concerning is that we are spending 90% of our time indoors where the pollution is often times worse than outdoors. Issues such as unvented gas or kerosene heaters, tobacco use, solvents, painting adhesives and other similar materials can all cause people to suffer greatly (runny nose, watery eyes, dry throat to name a few conditions).  So what can we do if the air inside our homes is polluted? For this problem there certainly is a solution, may I start by suggesting a free air quality test.


Once an air quality test is completed and you are made aware of the air inside your home and whether or not you have a problem there are many solutions. Perhaps you can vacuum more often, invest in some air purification equipment, or even open your windows or doors more often for longer periods of time.  Whatever you decide, at least you can say you are taking action to fight indoor air pollution and keep allergens and irritants in your home at a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment